Midnight Sun by Stephenie Meyer | Book Review ★★★★★

 


Midnight Sun
Stephenie Meyer
Originally Published August 4th, 2020



“She was always too kind. She gave me credit I didn’t deserve, worried over my feelings as if they mattered. Her very goodness was what put her in this danger. Her virtue, my vice, the two opposites binding us together.”




Before I attempt to express how much I love this book, I feel it’s necessary to make this point.

If you didn’t like the first four books or the movies, you won’t like this book. Save yourself the torture and don’t read it.

If you are a Twilight fan but you don’t like long-winded stories where the principal character is a tormented, calculating, methodical over thinker? You may not enjoy reading Edward’s perspective of events.

Disclaimer out of the way.

Now, to the story. I didn’t want it to end. This book, even though the plot doesn’t differ from Twilight, I felt like I was reading a new story.

As a twenty-something-year old reading the Twilight Saga for the first time, I was always dying to know what Edward’s thoughts were.

Midnight Sun delivered in every way I could have hoped for.

After reading this book, I can understand why Stephenie Meyer took so long to finish it. Not only did the author have to shift perspectives, but the mind of a seventeen-year-old girl and a vampire are worlds apart. We’ve all been seventeen, male or female. But we will never know the depths of being immortal.

Of course, we have all found ourselves in situations in our life where we knew what the right thing to do was, and we fought our baser instincts. Stephenie NAILED those emotions in this book. Throughout its entirety, Edward is one massive knot of emotional turmoil.

There is another point to be made in the above statement. We don’t know what it is like to be immortal because immortals are fictitious characters.

But as humans we struggle with every single emotion that Edward went through, but with the dial turned up as high as it will go.

They often make vampires out to be creatures who are cold, unfeeling and have little emotion and no warm feelings for humans.

All the vampires repeat after me. “Humans are food, not friends.”

In Twilight, it gives us a taste of the struggle that Edward is going through. In Midnight Sun, it gives us the seven-course meal all at once.

I love vampires, whether they are indifferent to human lives, drink human blood, or want to be the vampire with a soul and spare human life.

I even like them when they sparkle.

Midnight Sun delivers the angst, the romance, the elation, and the horror of being an immortal in love with a very breakable human from the perspective of the immortal male character instead of the human female character because you can’t walk into a bookstore without getting hit with a YA romance between paranormal beings and humans without being told the story from the girls perspective. That was refreshing.

With that being said, if you have no qualms with the disclaimers listed above, I highly, HIGHLY, recommend reading Midnight Sun.

Comments

Popular Posts