The Shifter Saga [Book I] Complete Draft

 I made a massive decision a few days ago after finishing the rough draft of my next novel which will be published under my pen name, Cassie Bobo that I wanted to share the draft.

Now, of course, this is always a risky decision to make, not only are you setting yourself up for possible plagiarism and theft, but also it may not be a good marketing ploy. If people have already read the draft for free, why in the world would they be interested in spending money on the book once it is published.

For one, I made the choice to publish the draft on a website designed for writers,  Wattpad

Wattpad will time stamp the original draft of the story showing when it was originally published, I can accrue audience feedback on the story - what readers like and what they don't like. And I can generate a fan base for the story making the likelihood that people want to buy the finished book a little higher.

Obviously, the thing that I love to do is write, and I want to spend more time doing that, but when you're a writer and you want to be successful, one of the things no one tells you is that you have to market that book to the correct audience - the people who want to find this book and read it.

The Shifter Saga [Book I] *Complete Draft* is now available via this link to read, vote and comment on. To improve as a writer, you have to be able to take the hits. If someone tells you this story is shit, don't get offended and write that person off, ask them why they didn't like it, when you're listening to your audience, it gives you literally a FREE opportunity from the perspective of the reader on who you can make an enticing plot, a story that people will want to buy, that they will want to read and tell people about. Of course, not everyone can be pleased, but we're not looking at the 1%, what we're looking at, as writers, it the big picture. How did the audience view the story from the majority. If people consistently bring up a writing fail - address that fail and give some thought to how you can improve and make that writing fail, a writing success.

Do you have dropped quotation marks? Comb your story looking for them. If your grammar is bad? Learn how you need to correct it. Now days, the market is seeing a steady increase in self-publishing authors, many of whom are first time authors who either have a limited budget or no budget at all. There are tons of free writing tools to help you improve your grammar. Are you mixing tenses? That's confusing to readers, pick a tense and stick to it. If you decide to write in the first person, write in the first person and don't flip back and forth between tenses. If you write in third person, STICK TO IT! 

My point is, this is simply a draft - fifty percent of the story will change while the remaining fifty percent will stay the same.

If you enjoy paranormal fantasy thrillers, go ahead and click the link and check out my upcoming novel while it's still in the draft stages and see that yeah, no matter if you've been writing a year or twenty or the last five decades, everyone's first draft is crap but it's crap that has potential. (sorry I'm laughing as I write this because I just imagined a 1920's ragamuffin standing on the side walk shouting, "Extra, Extra, read my potential crap!") 

I'm not used to being awake this early unless I didn't sleep the night before. 

Happy Wednesday everyone.


Comments

Popular Posts